Throughout their life, people tend to be exposed to a diverse range of religious dogmas and practices. Fewer people know that if a person is deeply inclined to towards these, then that doesn’t necessarily mean leading towards spirituality. Though it is true that the words spiritual and religious have been used synonymously since ages but in contemporary, both the words differ from each other with a massive difference in their contexts.
Spiritual but not religious- Is that the real thing?
Both religion and spirituality teach a common subject matter, but their approaches are very distinct. What they both teach is that there is something more to the eye than we can see and more to our lives other than the physical body. Both accept the fact that there are non-physical components to the universe and our existence and unless and until we purposely connect with them, we will never be truly answered in life.
The elementary difference between religion and spirituality lies in their approach and methodologies that they present. Religion is deliberately aimed at presenting a certain set of dogmas, beliefs, and intermediaries between you and the Spirit(or some people call it the path to salvation); whereas spirituality is all about discovering your true self, recognizing individual autonomy and connecting the Spirit to your heart and mind, finding your true inner-self.
How spiritual awakening works?
Have you ever thought that Buddha was not Buddhist, nor Jesus was a Christian, but they possessed extremely well realized spiritual auras? This is the sole reason why it is said that Spirituality is the true origin and the true essence of every religious movement. You don’t need to be religious and stick to the stereotypical beliefs that every religion practices, all you need is being inclined towards the spiritual side of living and all the materialistic worries will fade in the air.
- Religion either makes a person helpless or a terrorist, while spirituality is all about making a person realize the inner-self.
- Religion divides people, Spirituality unites.
- Religion is all about following a certain path whereas spirituality is about discovering a unique path for every person.
- Religion demands sacrifice, whereas spirituality asks you to let go your present attachments for a better present.
- Religion aims at converting you, whereas spirituality aims at inspiring you.
- People fear the religion and o the other hand people crave for spirituality.
- Religion asks you to act as per the rules; spirituality has no finite boundaries.
- Religious emphasizes at telling you the truth whereas spirituality lets you discover it yourself.
- Religion talks about punishment and threat of hell whereas Spirituality tells you how Karma works.
- Religion has many forms whereas spirituality has many paths.
It isn’t also necessarily important that religion and spirituality can’t work together. There are many examples of finding spirituality inside religion and for the people with whom spirituality and religion can work together; the difference may not be so relevant. But for those who are interested in finding pure spirituality, regardless of religious affiliation, spirituality is something spiritually needs not to be mixed with religion for connecting to the spirit.